Company: BAAD! Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance
Location: Bronx, NY
DANCE EDUCATION COORDINATOR
Location: Bronx, NY Department: Programming Type: Seasonal/Part Time
BAAD! Bronx Academy of Arts & Dance creates, produces, presents, and supports the development of cutting edge and challenging works in contemporary dance and all creative disciplines that are empowering to women, Latinos and other people of color, and the LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer) communities. BAAD!’s newest initiative is the AATT Academy, a dance education program for students ages 6 to 9 years based on Artist Director, Arthur Aviles, dance training. BAAD! seeks a Dance Education Coordinator for the Academy.
The Dance Education Coordinator (DEC) is responsible for oversight and coordination of the AATT Academy so that each student receives exemplary instruction in dance. S/he recruits students and ensures that dance faculty integrate established curriculum standards into their classes. Some teaching may be required which will increase the hours of the position. Additionally, the DEC will serve as a spokesperson and ambassador for the AATT Academy in the community.
The DEC position (not including teaching) is up to 20 hours a week with the possibility of more hours if needed. Compensation is $20/hour. Official start date no later than January 30, 2017.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILIES
– Plan, finalize, and implement program curriculum and schedule with Artistic Director
– Recruit and hire a staff of dance faculty that is professional, experienced, and able to carry out the program’s goals
– Observe teachers and provide ongoing feedback. As necessary, implement performance improvement plans in tandem with both the Artistic Director and Deputy Director.
– Supervise the day-to-day program, manage program and teacher schedules, procure substitute teachers when necessary
– Recruit at least 25 students (12 girls, 13 boys) ages 6 to 9 years from Westchester Square and surrounding neighborhoods in the Bronx by creating relationships with parents, organizations, businesses, and schools.
– Manage communication between organization and teachers and parents via email, phone, mail, and other tools as needed
– Keep regular office hours each week that are published and available to the parents, and attend required staff meetings
– If needed, assist in writing foundation applications and reports related to the AATT Academy
– Personable, friendly, and comfortable working with small children and their parents
– Experience writing and preparing dance curriculum
– Dance teaching experience
– Ability to demonstrate skill in handling concerns and resolving problems
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Fluent in English and Spanish is not required but encouraged
For consideration please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 20. Please use subject line “Dance Education Coordinator.”
BAAD! Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance
2474 Westchester Ave.
Bronx, Bronx, 10461
718 918 2110