Mount Tremper Arts Executive Director Job Description
(New York, NY / Mt. Tremper, NY)
Mount Tremper Arts seeks an individual with excellent leadership, fundraising and administrative skills for the position of Executive Director.
As Mount Tremper Arts (MTA) enters its 10th anniversary year, we celebrate our commitment to the communities we serve, and look ahead to building new connections and partnerships. To expand its reach, MTA seeks an inspired Executive Director to lead it into the next decade, building on the groundwork laid by the founders.
An artist-led institution, MTA is both a center for the creation of new work in the contemporary performing arts, and a rural arts institution offering excellent public programming.
MTA is community-focused, responsive and flexible in order to:
· Support contemporary artists to work on new projects in a supportive and inspiring environment, on a mountainside in the Catskills. With year-round residencies and the Watershed Lab, we offer artists dedicated time and space to make their work.
· Serve the local community with programming that goes beyond performance, offering glimpses into the creative process, and a context for sharing ideas. Conversations with artists around the campfire after shows are essential, emblematic of this goal.
· Support the performing arts field by offering a nourishing place of natural beauty, where cultural producers recharge and create, and where people can come together around an experience or work of art.
· Build partnerships with other institutions, most recently through the Watershed Lab: to leverage connections and resources on behalf of artists, and to bolster interconnectedness and exchange among advocates for new work.
· Continue to create a healthy ecology for the contemporary performing arts, acting as a model and as a defender of the need for quiet, open spaces, and interdependent communities.
Please visit mounttremperarts.org for more on the history of the organization and current programs.
The Board of Directors is interested in candidates who will build on our successful programmatic trajectories, in particular the recently launched Watershed Laboratory. The co-founder and current Artistic Director will hand off the executive leadership of the institution to the ED, while remaining on the board and actively involved. The Board will transition curatorial leadership to a committee-based structure, which will evolve over the next year, with the ED’s participation.
Areas of primary responsibility:
· Responsible for the financial security and sustainability of Mount Tremper Arts, including strategic planning, partnering with the board, increasing earned and donated revenue streams, and management of budgets.
· Oversight of all business and administrative activities, including marketing, contracts, insurance, assisting with tax compliance and filing, preparing financial statements for Board of Directors, database management, and more.
· Manage and partner with MTA year-round and seasonal staff. This includes the Director of Programs, Events and Production Manager, Technical staff, volunteers, and marketing contractors.
· Strengthen and develop institutional and community partnerships in both the Catskills and New York City.
· Have a proven track record of fundraising and managerial experience within the non-profit sector; including donor cultivation, board development, and securing foundation support.
· Understand MTA’s mission and unique position within the performing arts community, and be an effective, elegant public spokesperson and advocate.
· Be able to both think strategically/big picture, as well as execute strategy with excellent attention to detail.
· Have a passion for the arts and a genuine interest in artists.
Ideal candidate would:
· Be involved with the contemporary performing arts community.
· Have a curiosity that extends beyond the arts, and the intellectual flexibility to make linkages across disciplines and divergent fields. In the case of MTA, that would include ecology, agriculture, and the culinary arts.
· Have a strong interest in the MTA mission of cultivating generative community.
Salary (and benefits) commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and complete the following candidate questionnaire by January 15, 2017.
Candidate Questionnaire (Please limit your response to five hundred (500) words, in total)
1. What interests you in this opportunity, and how would you describe your philosophical alignment with this organization.
2. Briefly describe your most relevant experiences and skills for this position.
3. What should we know about you and/or your background that might not be evident in your CV/resume?
Mount Tremper Arts is accepting applications by email at info (@) mttremperarts.org. No telephone calls or visits please.
About Mount Tremper Arts
Nestled in the Catskill Mountains, Mount Tremper Arts (MTA) is an artist-founded laboratory space dedicated to supporting artists in the creation and presentation of new works of contemporary art. Founded in 2008 by visual artist Mathew Pokoik and choreographer Aynsley Vandenbroucke, MTA cultivates generative artistic communities while making experimental contemporary art accessible to its diverse local community.
“[Mount Tremper Arts] has become a quietly thriving offshoot of the city’s contemporary performance world: a magnet for adventurous urban artists and a devoted local audience.” The New York Times