Title: Indego Africa seeks Studio Assistant
Date: 23 December 2016 | 8:07 pm
Indego Africa was founded in 2007 with a simple idea: empower women artisans in Africa by showcasing their beautiful craft and investing in the power of education. We team up with groups of women in Rwanda and Ghana to sell products that are designed in NYC and handmade in Africa—using traditional techniques, local materials and genuine artisanal skill—all with a creative voice of playfulness, an appreciation of color, and a desire to bring beauty into the world while uplifting communities at the same time. We invest all of our profits from sales, along with donations, into education programs for the artisans who handcraft our products. Our courses range from business and financial management, to entrepreneurship and leadership, skills-based vocational training for younger women and more!
We are looking for a Studio Assistant Intern to join our NYC team! The Studio Assistant Intern will assist with product packaging, shipping, post-production, and inventory management, as well as photo shoots & in-person sales. He or she will gain hands-on experience with the logistics of running an international design and sales company while learning about the fields of design, production, wholesale/retail, social enterprise, and international development.
• High-energy team player with a willingness to pitch in wherever needed
• Strong organizational skills and attention-to-detail
• Quick learner and problem-solver
• Crafty-ness a plus!
• Proficiency in, or ability to become proficient in, Shopify, Indego Africa’s e-commerce platform
• Passion for design, branding, and handmade products
Dates: 10 hours; January through May or June 2017
Application Instructions: To apply, please email with: (a) name of specific internship or job in the subject line, (b) your resume, (c) a thoughtful cover letter, and (d) your hours/days of availability. Your name, the date, and the position must be in the title of your attached documents. No phone calls please.
Please note that this is an unpaid position. School credit can be arranged upon request.
Responsibilities & Expected Projects:
• Assist Production & Fulfilment Associate with packaging and shipping customer orders
• Help unpack product shipments from Rwanda and Ghana; help count, organize, and store inventory at NYC office
• Support the Sales Team with inventory management
• Make sure our products look beautiful when they reach their final customer. This may include: sewing on labels, ironing apparel, putting on tags, and adding other finishing touches.
• Attend NYC-area trunk shows and pop-up shops (as needed) to help set up and sell Indego Africa merchandise
• Become familiar with Intuit GoPayment and Square mobile processing applications and assist Sales Team with in-person sales
• Attend and help out with photo shoots
• Assist design team with sourcing and pickups/drop-offs as needed
• Conduct special projects as assigned