Title: WORKROOM SOCIAL seeks Sewing Studio Internship-Fall 2017
Date: 8 August 2017 8:00 am
This is a hands-on opportunity for those interested in fashion design, sewing (garment construction), and small business. We are looking for motivated, hard working, friendly candidates who are passionate about clothing, fabric, and sewing as a hobby.
Workroom Social is a boutique sewing studio located in Brooklyn, New York. We specialize in teaching home sewers industry methods that make clothing construction easy and produce beautiful results that look store-bought, not homemade. We also design and produce sewing patterns for home sewers that are both foolproof in instruction and fashion-forward in design. We specialize in teaching adult learners in a fun and social environment. For more information on our studio, please visit workroomsocial.com.
More about this internship:
– This is a non-paid internship. We offer the following to interns: 1. school credit, 2. pay for event assistance typically at a day rate, 3. free use of studio and equipment for personal projects outside of internship hours for the duration of the internship, 4. mentorship for career advancement or personal project development, 5. free training and education outside of internship hours for the duration of the internship.
– We are looking for an intern who can commit to 10 hours/week for a minimum of 3 months. Internship hours should fall between 9am-7pm weekdays, but exact hours are flexible and can be coordinated in accordance with intern’s schedule.
If interested, please send a brief cover letter in the body of an email, your resume, and links to some recent work (blog, flickr photos, etc.) to
We look forward to hearing from you!
Interested candidates should have:
– Sewing skills: basic skills necessary. Intermediate-advanced skills preferred. An interest in developing a greater skill level is required. Training is included for internships.
– Good understanding of patterns and garment construction.
– Strong desire to gain advanced technical skills.
– Interest in small business development and marketing preferred.
– Organizational skills.
– Writing skills.
– Computer skills.
– Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to think for oneself and complete tasks independently.
– Fun, positive, friendly, creative attitude.
– Hardworking, self motivated, reliable, and serious about quality of work and meeting deadlines.
Internship duties include:
– Pattern drafting.
– Assisting with photo shoots.
– Assisting with marketing efforts which may include social media, blogging, etc.
– Event assistance (opportunities to teach for the right candidate).
– Other general studio work may include organizing, researching, contributing in meetings.