Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
Brooklyn, NY 11217
Head Electrician – BAM Opera House
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, committed to an inclusive work place.
BAM is primarily a presenting organization seeking the Head Electrician for the Opera House. This is a hands-on position. The bulk of this role’s responsibility is to lead crews to load in, set up, run and strike performances and events on a weekly basis. BAM’s Opera House stagehands are represented by IATSE Local 4.
The successful candidate will be a strong leader with an exemplary work ethic and extensive electrics skills.
Reports to: Director of Production, Designated Production Supervisors & Coordinators.
Start Date: September 5, 2017 (40 week contract)
- Collaborate with all stagehands, departments and production management to work with first class artists and companies to present cutting-edge, internationally renowned performances and art.
- Responsible for performing and supervising electrics work for BAM.
- Working member of the crew. Work requires physical activity for extended periods of time. Work requires physical activity for extended periods of time. Work days lasting 16 hours and more are common.
- Lead, assign and supervise crews performing diverse tasks while simultaneously performing his/her own work assignments.
- Prep, set up, assemble, alter and strike, any electrics used at BAM.
- Advance light plots and associated paperwork.
- Supervise electrics crews during load-ins, load-outs, and work calls, rehearsals and performances as assigned.
- Evaluate workers qualifications; ensure that they are qualified and match their competencies to position requirements.
- Supervise the timely installation of all production elements.
- Enforce standards of operation of electrics equipment that are safe for both personnel and equipment.
- Perform maintenance throughout the BAM Opera House.
- High school diploma or GED
- ETCP Entertainment Electrician Certification within 364 days of hire date. This certification must be kept up-to-date.
- Must have at least 10 years’ experience in stage work and 5 years of directly job-related experience.
- When required, act as the Head Carpenter when the Head Carpenter is not available.
- Work will require standing for extended periods of time, lifting and carrying and will occasionally require pushing heavy weights or lifting and carrying weights up to 125 pounds.
- If not currently a member, the successful candidate will be required to join IATSE Local 4.
- Have advanced electrics & theatrical technical skills.
- Knowledge and skills of advanced theatrical electrics networking.
- Capable of reading and interpreting technical drawings and designs.
- Ability to troubleshoot and operate intelligent lighting fixtures, standard lighting consoles and other related equipment.
- Understanding of electricity and job-related electronics.
- Knowledge of industry standards for safety.
Application Instructions: must complete an online application – no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Application Deadline: August 18, 2017
Find your next broadway job here, with casting calls, acting auditions, performing arts administrative, design, technical, stage, internships and other Broadway