New York, NY 10011
Renegade Tour Guide at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
We want charismatic, outgoing, passionate, museum-loving folks… with a touch of renegade flair.
- QUALIFICATIONS Background in one or more of the following: Theater, Improv, Debate, Teaching (if you were Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society), Making passionate speeches about nerdy subjects to your friends, Being Awesome, or Museum Education or Art History.
- Warm, friendly, eager, a “people person” with excellent communication skills but also attention to detail.
- Ability to think on your feet, be a self-starter, and develop your own content and tour route.
- Desire to help wide-eyed tourists and grizzled NYC residents experience art and museums in a very fun way.
- Must have flexible daytime availability (including weekends). We book private and corporate tours during the week, and VIP tours during the weekend.
- Must be a New York City resident and be a U.S. citizen or have valid work authorization.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
If you’re passionate about art, antiquities, and history, and if you’re great at storytelling and working a small crowd, then you definitely belong in our family of Museum Hackers.
$32/hr for leading tours. $22/hr for assisting tours with another guide. $15/hr for administrative work including post-tour emails and occasional training. If selected to proceed from this interview process, you be hired as an Independent Contractor to develop your own tour, which will act as our final audition before hiring you as a part-time employee.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS RENEGADE TOUR GUIDE POSITION
You’ll be leading small groups of people on a fast-paced, spirited journey through the BEST encyclopedic museum on Earth – the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We want guides who can share the juicy stories and fascinating histories of their selected art pieces in an engaging and succinct way.
This is not a full-time gig.
IMPORTANT: If you have a steady full-time 9-5 type job, or if you’re absolutely never ever available on Friday or Saturday nights, please do not apply.
ABOUT MUSEUM HACK
We pride ourselves in crafting amazing museum experiences for museum skeptics. Our best tour guides are not the center of attention — they make the Museum the star attraction. We lead with passion and charisma. The joke is, “We do museum tours for people who don’t like museums.”
Museum Hack uses the expansive collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art as our playground to create un-highlights tours that focus on hidden works, oddities, and saucy stories. Museum Hack guides combine these stories with antics and quirky activities that get you to think about the museum experience in new ways.
We are based in New York City.
WHY WORK WITH MUSEUM HACK
- We’re doing exciting things. See our company news page here.
- You’re going to get more responsibility and control working with us than you would at a bigger institution or museum.
- We’re a meritocracy and promote success, not tenure.
- Our tours are really fucking fun.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS: We love that you are enthusiastic and want to learn more about the job or the progress of your application. But please, no phone calls or emails.
Museum Hack is not endorsed or affiliated with the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Find your next broadway job here, with casting calls, acting auditions, performing arts administrative, design, technical, stage, internships and other Broadway