Vanguard Theater Company
South Orange, NJ 07079
Broadway Artists Wanted
Vanguard Theater Company’s Broadway Buddy Program is an outreach program designed to offer emerging musical theater artists (ages 13 – 24) a unique opportunity for one-on-one mentorship with Broadway artists. The program gives youth and young adults the opportunity to develop supportive relationships with Broadway professionals who serve as advocates and artistic coaches. Last year’s inaugural program featured mentors from shows such as: School of Rock, Aladdin, Hamilton, Les Mis, The Color Purple and more.
As previous mentors from the program would be able to tell you, the program asks for a small commitment (3 meetings with your mentee within a two month period) but has a huge impact! For your reference, a timeline for the program is provided below.
- Monday, March 6th – Mentor/Mentee Pairings (Buddies) are announced – this is the day you will learn who you’ve been paired with. This is not a physical meeting, just an introduciton email.
- Between March 6 – April 31st– Mentor and Mentee Meetings (We ask for a comittment of three one hour sessions to meet with your mentee. The location and time for these sessions are determined by what’s convenient for you. Our mentees are flexible and will work around YOUR schedule and location. A guideline for each meeting in outlined below)
- Session one – “Getting to know you” session – “Buddies” meet and begin getting to know one another.
- Session two – “Getting to know you” – “Buddies” continue getting to know one another, and also choose a selection to sing together at the Mentorship Cabaret.
- Session three – “Buddies” rehearse their chosen selection (Location determined by Mentor. Vanguard will incur all costs associated with studio rentals and will provide an accompanist.)
- Monday, May 1st @ 7:00PM – Final Performance at South Orange Performing Arts Center (SOPAC) in South Orange, NJ (30 minute train ride from NYC, SOPAC is conveniently located at the South Orange, NJ Train Station Stop)
This year we are looking for a new group of Broadway Mentors to be a part of this unique program. The only pre-requsite is having been in a Broadway show or National Tour (currently or previously) and having a heart for young people (presently!). Can you imagine having had a mentor to help you at the beginning of your journey? Your insight, expertise, and passion will be invaluable for these young aspiring artitsts! I guarantee, this small committment will have a lasting impact, on both you and your Buddy!
For more information on Broadway Buddy, Take a look at some highlights from last year’s Broadway Buddy Mentorship Cabaret. It was a night to remember! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsC-PBy2KwU
We hope you will consider joining us as a Mentor!
March 21, 2017 – May 1, 2017
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to vanguardtheatercompany…
Find your next broadway job here, with casting calls, acting auditions, performing arts administrative, design, technical, stage, internships and other Broadway