The Play Company
New York, NY 10036
Director of Development & Communications
The Play Company (PlayCo), an Obie Award-winning Off Broadway theater in New York City, seeks a strategic, charismatic Director of Development and Communications to join a talented staff and esteemed Board of Directors to help shape the organization’s future during a fresh, new chapter of organizational advancement.
Launched in 1999, PlayCo develops and produces adventurous new plays from the U.S. and around the world, advancing a dynamic global experience of contemporary theater and expanding the American repertoire. This vibrant company stands out amidst a competitive and crowded New York Theater marketplace, due to its robust and inclusive worldview, intimate performances, and dedication to artistic innovation. Throughout its 18-year history PlayCo has served as a leader in the field, by producing diverse, internationally-minded work that pushes boundaries, expands cultural understanding and fosters dialogue.
Reporting to the Managing Director, and managing our development and marketing support staff, the newly established Director of Development and Communications position is responsible for overseeing all development, marketing and communication initiatives. S/he will oversee a cohesive plan to build positive relationships with PlayCo’s growing community of funders, partners and audience members, to heighten public awareness of PlayCo, grow contributed and earned income, and deepen and expand the base of support. S/he will leverage the organization’s strengths to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to grow the current operating budget of $1M.
The successful candidate will have a track record of competing successfully for philanthropic support in a crowded cultural marketplace, with major gifts and special events experience, as well as the proven ability to maximize fundraising from institutional sources including foundations, corporate sponsors, and government agencies on the federal, state, and local levels. S/he will also have demonstrated success in crafting tailored communications to the different constituents engaged with and served by a cultural organization.
Roles and Responsibilities
STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT: In consultation with the Founding Producer, Managing Director and 11-member board, develop and execute comprehensive long-term planning for resource and community development around PlayCo’s mission and work. In consultation with Founding Producer and Managing Director, develop and execute development and communications strategies, with measurable goals and objectives that meet PlayCo’s annual operating requirements and lay continuing groundwork for increasing contributed and earned revenue in subsequent seasons/development cycles.
BOARD RELATIONS: Work with senior leadership to motivate and strengthen the Board in its role in development; expand, manage and coordinate the trustees’ and other volunteers’ involvement in fundraising activities. Participate in Board strategic planning, and assume an active role in serving and supporting the Board.
INDIVIDUAL GIVING: Spearhead PlayCo’s major gifts and individual giving programs to achieve annual fundraising budgets. Devise and implement new strategies and artistic program-based fundraising initiatives to acquire, renew, and upgrade major donors. Oversee prospect research efforts and manage a portfolio of major donors. Assign portfolios to Board members and coach, train, and motivate them to successfully steward and solicit major gifts. Oversee the annual fund direct mail program and associated fundraising initiatives.
INSTITUTIONAL FUNDRAISING: Steward the organization’s diverse relationships with government and foundations for continued success in institutional fundraising. Manage the research and timely preparation of all foundation, corporate, and government grant proposals, and oversee grant stewardship, administration, and reporting.
SPECIAL EVENTS: Work closely with the staff, trustees, and other volunteers to maximize the effectiveness of PlayCo’s special events. Produce an annual gala and other fundraising/cultivation events. Devise new events and programs to expand the number of private contributions.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS: Develop and implement a holistic and strategic communications plan with the community of donors, funders, partners and audience members who engage with PlayCo’s mission and public programs. Supervise the Marketing & Communications Manager’s strategies and goals for ticket sales and community outreach for each production and ensure these efforts align with overall communications. Act as an impassioned ambassador of PlayCo and serve as a principal public voice of the organization in order to maximize community engagement, and ensure dynamic brand management.
STAFF MANAGEMENT: Supervise development and marketing/communications staff (previously 3 people working from 20-30 hours/wk. each). Recruit, train, manage and monitor the work goals and objectives of direct reports to succeed.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university or college; masters degree preferred.
· 5+ years of nonprofit development experience, preferably in the arts and culture sector;
· Substantial experience working successfully with high net worth individuals, Boards of Directors, and Board committees, preferably in the New York theatre community, with a demonstrated track record of successfully closing major gifts in a competitive, sophisticated donor environment;
· Must be a team builder who empowers others to get the job done while providing the support they need with superior interpersonal skills and the capacity to inspire and motivate others;
· A self-starter with a sense of urgency, a clear set of priorities, a strong work ethic and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances in a highly collaborative environment. Must have a creative and imaginative approach to problem solving, a good sense of humor, a high level of energy, self-confidence, a positive “can-do” attitude, charisma, diplomacy, and the ability to function at peak in a high expectation environment;
· Excellent planning, strategy, analytical, budgeting and communication skills;
· Proficiency in Patron Manager or equivalent CRM;
· A passion for the mission and future plans of PlayCo; and
· The ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends for performances and events, as required.
Compensation, including benefits, is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. NO CALLS PLEASE
July 1, 2017 –
Find your next broadway job here, with casting calls, acting auditions, performing arts administrative, design, technical, stage, internships and other Broadway