National Dance Institute New Mexico
Santa Fe, NM 87501
National Dance Institute of New Mexico is founded with the knowledge that the arts have a unique power to engage and motivate children. The purpose of our distinctive programs is to help children develop discipline, a standard of excellence, and a belief in themselves that will carry over into all aspects of their lives.
Purpose of Dance Barns Technical Director Role:
The Dance Barns Technical Director is responsible for the management and technical operation of the theater and studios at The Dance Barns in Santa Fe, and for the technical direction of NDI New Mexico productions held at The Dance Barns, including maintenance of theatre, and hiring and supervision of technical crews. The Dance Barns Technical Director is responsible to the Artistic Director for carrying out the mission and the policies of NDI New Mexico. The Dance Barns Technical Director is a member of the Artistic Administrative Staff.
- Responsible for all technical aspects of NDI New Mexico performances at The Dance Barns.
- Attends production meetings with artistic staff.
- Hires, trains and supervises part-time and contract technical crew and outside designers as needed and in conjunction with Program Directors and within budget.
- Coordinates rental and return of technical equipment.
- Manages strike and restoration of facilities post-event.
- Performs lighting/sound design, scene rigging, and control board operation for smaller performances and events.
- Assists with creating annual, repair and maintenance, and long range budgets for The Dance Barns theater.
- Oversees regular theater maintenance and safety including the repair and replacement schedule.
- Creates, updates, and oversees The Dance Barns Theater policies and procedures manual and sets standardization of processes in coordination with The Hiland Technical Director.
- Inventories, cleans, and maintains theatrical equipment used by on-site and off-site programs.
- In conjunction with Artistic Director, creates long range plan and budget for theater and technical aspects of The Dance Barns including consulting on theater improvements.
Day to Day Theater and Studio Operation
- Schedules Dance Barns programs in master calendar and coordinates theater needs with Artistic Program Directors and Facilities Manager.
- Creates, maintains, and is responsible for The Dance Barns use and coordination of studios A-F and scene shop and ensures that cleaning, set-up, and tear-down is performed in a timely manner.
- Maintains and orders sound equipment in studios.
- Assists Facilities Manager with facilities maintenance and improvement as it relates to theater and studio operations.
- Manages all theater and studio rentals from initial contact through approval by senior management, rental, and final exit review.
- Loads and unloads props for multiple program sites and performs minor repair/maintenance to props between events.
- Maintains, stores, and assembles props and banners for Santa Fe programs.
- During events and other scheduling issues, will work split shifts in order to assist the team with locking up the building.
- Schedules regular office hours that are appropriate and in consideration of the needs of The Dance Barns programs and current productions.
- Attends workshops and staff meetings as appropriate to position or as requested by the Artistic Director.
- Coordinates the sharing of equipment between The Dance Barns and The Hiland.
- Other duties as required.
Working Conditions, Environment and Physical Requirements:
- Functions performed in a variety of environments including: NDI New Mexico offices, schools, residency sites, and other locations.
- Requires reliable transportation and reimbursable in-state travel to NDI New Mexico locations, participating schools, residency sites, and community events.
- Requires weekend and evening hours.
- May be required to lift up to 25 lbs.
- May be required to navigate stairs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
Job Specific Requirements:
- Requires 2-5 years of experience in job related duties –theater management, lighting, sound, props/set construction.
- Experience hiring, supervising, and training technical theater crew.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theater Production or related area of study or equivalent experience
- Excellent skills with technical equipment including light board, sound board, projection, etc.
- Solves problems by identifying causes, gathering and processing relevant information, generating possible solutions, making recommendations, and bringing issue to resolution.
- Coordinates multiple program and performance requirements and needs with large staff and multiple directors and producers.
Core NDI New Mexico Employee Requirements:
- Believes in the mission of the organization
- Strives for excellence in this job with a “Can Do” attitude
- Ability to work with people of all backgrounds and ages
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and result driven
- Ability to prioritize work and multi-task to meet priorities
- Supports teamwork and collaboration by demonstrating strong interpersonal skills
- Communicates effectively through clear speaking, writing and effective listening
- Behaves respectfully, ethically and with personal integrity
- Operates in a fiscally responsible manner
- Demonstrates adaptability through a willingness to be flexible and versatile in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Professional appearance and telephone manner
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to 0000015c-d1d3-da4f-a5fe-fff7c6be0000…
Find your next broadway job here, with casting calls, acting auditions, performing arts administrative, design, technical, stage, internships and other Broadway